While we are definitely amateurs learning photography as we go, we are often asked what digital camera we use for our photos. We recently upgraded to the Canon Powershot S95 Digital Camera. This 10MPixel Digital Camera with 3.8x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom has an excellent f2 lens which allow it to take excellent low light pictures. This model ads 720p HD video, HDR mode, and faster focusing over the already excellent Canon Powershot S90.
We prefer to maintain a low profile while take photos, making a huge digital SLR camera a no-no. Using a flash is also not desired. Flash photography disturbs the entire restaurant and results in unnatural results. The Canon Powershot S95 fits in pocket an allow us to quickly snap good looking photos. The 28mm wide angle lens lets it capture large panoramic venues. The camera has full manual controls allowing us to optimize settings to a particular situation.
Downsides.. This camera is not cheap, it is not a speed demon, and it does not have a 1080p HD movie mode.
Also consider the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (Black)
Some Food Photography tips:
- Switch your camera to a Close up or Macro mode
- Turn off the flash
- Switch camera to a High ISO mode if lighting is less than optimal. Illuminate the food with a tiny LED flash light or an iPhone light app
- Try to position the camera low to achieve a more level picture. This avoid a bird’s eye perspective.
- Stabilize the camera against the table or plate if possible
- Quickly take a picture or two and enjoy the food!
- Put the camera away when it is not in use.